Cancer is unfortunately a disease that we all need to be aware of in our pets. It can present itself in many different forms and types.
Important Pet Cancer Facts:
- Cancer accounts for nearly 50% of all disease-related deaths each year.
- Cancer is the #1 natural cause of death in older pets.
- Dogs get cancer at roughly the same rate as humans.
- One in 4 dogs die of cancer.
- Over 50% of the dogs over age 10 will die of cancer.
- Just like in humans, cancer can occur in virtually any part of your dog’s body.
- Approximately 1 in 4 dogs develops a tumor of some kind during his or her lifetime.
- The cause of cancer in pets, just like people, is largely unknown.
- Common risks of obesity in pets include many forms of cancer.
- While cancer is not as common in cats as it is dogs, it is often more aggressive.
Treatments are available for pets with cancer; if you have any questions about these treatments ask your veterinarian today!